Kathmandu Metropolitan City has adopted Single Building Permit System. Once Build Company submits application electronically, it takes 25-30 days to get Building Construction Permit Certificate from the Municipality
The 25-30 days are divided as follows:
Build Company submits the drawings to the Metropolitan city along with a copy of the title certificate.
The municipality forwards the file to the municipality ward office where the land is located.
The ward office checks the field and sends a notice to the site’s neighbours.
Start of the maturation of notice period.
Start of the local inquiry done by the ward office.
The ward office sends the file back to the municipality.
The municipality starts the process of issuing a Building construction permit certificate and approval of the drawings. At least one of the neighbours must give their consent in order for the project to be approved. Otherwise, the builder have to submit a "commitment letter" certifying that he is responsible for any potential disputes in the future.
An applicant must submit the following documents along with the building permit application:
- Identity document of the owner (or Company Registration Certificate)
- Certification by a registered architect or engineer
- Cadastral extract
- Proof of land ownership/lease
- Building Plans
- Lot plan
- Proof of tax payment
- Structural plans
The originals of all documents must be demonstrated when submitting the copies to the Metropolitan City.
The building permit fee is calculated as follows:
- Built-up area up for commercial / institutional / Hotel etc. Rs. 35 per sq. ft.
- For residential Building Rs. 25 per sq. ft.
- Ownership tranfer (multiple time) Rs. 7 per sq. ft.
- Ownership tranfer (one time) Rs. 5 per sq. ft.
- Useage change Rs.5 per sq. ft.
- Building completion certificate Rs. 2 per sq. ft.
- Revised drawing Rs. 1 per sq. ft.
The Urban Development Department also charges a Designer Fee of NPR 2,000.00. The project designer must be licensed by the Department. The license is called Certificate of Designer and is renewed every year at the Municipality. The annual fee is NPR 1,0000.00. The Municipality charges an additional NPR 2,000.00 for each building design.